If you are a non-EU citizen and have the skills, you can apply for the European Blue card immigration program. This Blue Card will allow you to work (and live) in any country within the EU, except for United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark, who aren’t part of this proposal.

Blue Card — work permit’s duration, benefits and rights

The Blue Card allows non-EU citizen a work permit of three years, which is renewable. A person who is granted a Blue Card is subject to numerous right and benefits. It provides Family reunification (discussed below) as one of its biggest benefit. Immigrants under the Blue Card can also relocate to any country within EU, except for the three aforementioned States.

The legal terms of this proposal has been set under the Article 79 TFEU of the Treaty of Rome.

What is family reunification?

EU Blue Card is widely used for family reunification. It allows the immigrants to reunite with the other members of the family through an immigration of the remaining members.

Family reunification highly encourages no-EU individuals to apply for the Blue Card. There is also a sub-case for migration that allows one of the spouse to immigrate to the other’s country. This can be done before or after marriage, but will subsequently change the case of family reunification.

How to apply for the Blue Card?

You can apply online for the Blue Card from its website www.apply.eu. There, you have to first sign up by providing your email address and password. You can then apply for the Blue Card by providing the required documentation.

Blue Card: FAQs

  • Eligibility:
    Getting a Blue Card would first require you to check for the eligibility. If you are studying and have passed at least the first stage of tertiary education, you can apply for the Blue Card. Otherwise, you can also prove your professional skills for eligibility of the Blue Card.

  • Getting a Blue Card on Student Visa:
    If you are living in Europe on a student visa, you can continue to stay and work under the Blue Card. But you will have to apply for that.
  • Blue Card and permanent residency:
    You can apply for permanent residency under the Blue Card, subjective to the minimum years of employment necessary for the country you are living in. It’s usually 2-5 years for most for the countries.
  • Non-eligibility:
    Nationals of European Economic Area and Overseas countries and territories are excluded from the Blue Card ownership.
  • Countries who offer Blue Card:
    Here is an exhaustive list of EU countries that issue Blue Card:
    Belgium, Austria, Croatia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Finland, Estonia, France, Greece, Germany, Italy, Hungary, Latvia, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Poland, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Sweden.
  • Language requirement:
    There are no language requirements defined by the immigration authorities, but it’s preferable to have some level of proficiency with the local language.

You can check out the complete FAQs profile on the Blue Card from here