The FM3 visa allows you to work, stay in the country for one year and open a bank account in your name, all of which are very important when it comes to running a business.
It is not uncommon for FM3 visa applications to be rejected at first attempt.. Therefore, it is very important to have the help of a lawyer or assistance of a company to help you with the process.
The FM3 visa in Mexico has a total duration of one year, after which it must be renewed. The application is processed is done at the National Institute of Immigration located on Ave. 862 Ejercito Nacional. If you’re not in Mexico City, you can check out other offices here.
A few tips to facilitate your FM3 application
- It is best to call the office in advance so you can come prepared.
- Be sure to go early as it can get really hectic
- Bring to photocopies of ALL your documents just in case.
Documentation needed for the FM3 visa in Mexico
- Official immigration application filled out and signed.
- Original passport and copy
- Original immigration card. This is the card that you filled out on the plane and presented when you passed through customs. Be careful as you will get fined if you lose it!
- Original and copy of proof of residency. This can be any utility bill where you will reside which can be provided by your landlord or hotel where you are stay
- Seven photos of 2.5 x 3 cm. Four should be head shots and three right-sided profile shots without glasses, jewelry or make up, and on a white background.
- As an independent professional or business investor, you should have a written letter in Spanish, addressed to the INM requesting the issuance of the FM3 visa and stating the purpose of your stay, the activities you will conduct and the place where you intend to do it.
Once you have gathered all your documents and turned them in, they will give you a document with a password so you can follow your application process online. In Mexico City, the FM3 application process can take between 15 to 30 labor days. It’s important to take into account the time to renew your visa, also considering extra time in case there are any mistakes. Generally, you must start the procedure one month before your visa expires.
Once you have your FM3 visa and before you start your business activities you must register in the Ministry of finance.
For more assistance or if you have any questions regarding the process, Biz Latin Hub (www.bizlatinhub.com) will be pleased to assist you and help you with any questions you may have.