The E-2 Treaty Investor Visa is for foreign-nationals from countries that have a treaty with the United States permitting the filing of an E-2 Treaty Investor Visa (“E-2 Visa”), and who want to come to the United States to invest money in a new or already established business.

The E-2 visa is an attractive option for many foreign-national investors wishing to start a business in the United States.

Specific Requirements of the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa:

The general requirements for the E-2 Visa are:

  1. You are a citizen of a country that has an E-2 trade treaty with the United States;
  2. You have invested, or you are actively investing, a substantial amount of capital that is “at risk” in a bona fide enterprise in the United States that is not marginal;
  3. You want to come solely to develop and direct the business;
  4. You intend to depart the United States at the end of your stay as determined by your E-2 visa.

In other words, to apply for an E-2 Visa, you must be setting up (e.g. investing), or starting a real and active business, or investing in an established business.

The business investment must be a real operational business that produces some type of service or commodity, and the substantial funds must be “at risk.”

For more information regarding immigration law, please contact:
George Ernst
T 501.688.8862 | F 501.918.7862

DISCLAIMER: All information provided on this website is intended as a general description of various immigration options and is not intended to be construed as legal advice. Immigration law is subject to change and the each case is unique. Before applying for any immigration benefit, you should always consult an immigration attorney for advice regarding your individual situation to ensure that you will be able to satisfy all immigration requirements. For information regarding updates to immigration laws and regulations, please contact United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, or the Department of Labor.